The Brazos Valley Symphony & Friends Association of the Symphony Orchestra announce:
21st Annual Brazos Valley Youth Concerto Competition
Open to all students, 18 years of age or under, in a Brazos Valley public or private school, and home schooled.
Entry deadline is September 28, 2018, all entries must be received at the symphony office or postmarked by FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, 2018. CLICK HERE FOR ENTRY FORM
The competition is open to any music student in any public or private school in the Brazos Valley or any home-schooled student. We’ve had winners as young as 9 and instruments as varied as piano, violin and tuba. There is no entry fee.
Requirements are simple, but deadlines are critical:
- The student selects any movement from any concerto for any instrument, not to exceed 12 minutes in length.
- The student must submit a good quality recording of his or her performance – with or without piano accompaniment – and the application form, both of which must be received in the Brazos Valley Symphony Office by close of business on September 28, 2018 if hand delivering, postmarked by September 28, 2018 if mailing. Late entries will be rejected. The entry must be submitted on compact disk. There should be NO markings on the entry disk.
- The entries will be assigned a number and will be judged anonymously by Marcelo Bussiki, Music Director & Conductor of the Brazos Valley Symphony.
- Up to five finalists will be selected by mid-October, and will be notified by mail, shortly thereafter.
- The finalists will be invited to perform their selection before a panel of three judges and an audience on November 11, 2018 at 3pm at Our Saviour's Lutheran Church in College Station. A piano accompanist is provided for the finals and the piano will be provided. Students must also have their music memorized for the performance.
- A winner and first and second runners-up will be named at the conclusion of the finals competition. All three will receive plaques.
- The winner of the competition will be invited to enter the first Juanita Miller Concerto Competition for which he or she is eligible. The Miller Competition is held in Dallas each January and is sponsored by the Texas Association for Symphony Orchestras. The Friends Association of the Symphony Orchestra (FASO) will pay the entry fee for that event, but the finalist will be responsible for all other expenses and to indicate interest in entering the event with FASO. The winner also will be invited to perform with the Brazos Valley Symphony.
- All finalists must submit a “head-shot” photograph (at least 150 dpi if submitted electronically), a copy of their sheet music, and a completed biographical form to be provided with the finalist selection notification. They must agree to allow their name, photograph, and biographical information to be used in publicity for the competition.
- First-place winners of previous Brazos Valley Youth Concerto Competitions are ineligible to enter.
Robert Borden, Chair, e-mail Robert 21st Annual Youth Concerto Competition
7th ANNUAL GOLF TOURNAMENT PRESENTED BY ALLEN HONDA
The 18-hole Championship golf course, designed for both challenge and enjoyment by nationally recognized golf course architect Ken Dye, brings out the best in players of all skill levels, while leaving the best of nature in play. Mr. Dye’s expertise and artistry have produced a series of 18 unique holes, each with its own natural features. Lakes, creeks and woodlands provide a beautiful backdrop and blend with the course design to produce a unique golf experience in the Brazos Valley
The BVSO’s 37th Season Opener starts things off in world-class style when the Canadian Brass takes the stage. Continually elevating the art of the brass quintet to new levels for decades, the Canadian Brass has introduced the sound and the excitement of brass music to mass audiences around the globe. The award-winning ensemble, together with Music Director Marcelo Bussiki and the BVSO, will present a varied program with a full range of music from Bach to Gershwin, plus special arrangements created just for the “world’s most famous brass group.” The hallmark of any Canadian Brass performance is entertainment, spontaneity, virtuosity and most of all, fun! DOWNLOAD SEASON FLYER HERE
Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2, Op. 18, C minor
Guest Artists Fei-Fei, piano
Back by popular demand! Cliburn finalist and audience sweetheart, Fei-Fei, returns to the BVSO performance hall with another presentation of pure virtuosity with Rachmaninoff’s passionate Piano Concerto No. 2. Maestro Marcelo Bussiki and the orchestra will add to the evening with Beethoven’s captivating Symphony No. 7. The famous Allegretto, the second movement, is so wildly adored that it is often performed as a stand-alone work. Beethoven’s Seventh represents true ambition, beauty, breathlessness, and energy in musical form. The composer himself even called it "one of the happiest products of my poor talents." Don’t miss this one! DOWNLOAD SEASON FLYER HERE
The 21st Annual Brazos Valley Youth Concerto Competition will be November 11, 2018 at 3pm at Our Saviour's Lutheran Church in College Station.
Finalists will be chosen in blind judging by Marcelo Bussiki, Music Director and Conductor of the Brazos Valley Symphony Orchestra. Competition entrants submitted a CD of their performance of any movement from any concerto for any instrument. Finalists will be selected in October 2018 an announced as soon as possible. Once the finalists are selected, this information will be updated to include their details.
The competition is sponsored by the Brazos Valley Symphony Orchestra and its support guild, the Friends Association of the Symphony Orchestra (FASO).
The finalists will perform their competition entry from memory before a panel of judges and an audience. While the judges are making their decision, the Symphony Belles will host a reception in the church foyer.
FREE TO THE PUBLIC! ALL ARE WELCOME! PLEASE JOIN US FOR THIS WONDERFUL EVENT!
This is just a sample of songs from this beautiful Holiday Program. Come hear the rest!
Guest Artists James Faith, organ The Sanctuary Choir and Canticle Ringers of CUMC CSHS Varsity Women's Choir Brenham Children's Chorus
The finest of the Brazos Valley’s holiday season – Music Director Marcelo Bussiki invites you to bring the entire family to hear all your festive favorites, as well as wonderfully unexpected musical gifts from this collaborative concert. This uplifting performance will feature the outstanding BVSO Brass and Percussion musicians, organist James Faith, The Sanctuary Choir and The Canticle Ringers of Christ United Methodist Church, the College Station High School Varsity Women's Choir, PLUS the Brenham Children’s Chorus! Come for the music, and stay for the treats—don’t miss the famous cookie reception immediately following the concert, graciously hosted by the Friends Association of the Symphony Orchestra.
Note: This event is separate from the subscription season and is not included in the purchase price of regular season tickets. Adult and child pricing available!
Music Director Marcelo Bussiki invites you to an evening of classics, jazz, and more as Chicago-based composer and jazz pianist Rob Clearfield returns to BVSO to present a program of original music for string orchestra and jazz quartet, featuring New York-based musicians Caroline Davis (alto saxophone), Sam Weber (bass) and Jay Sawyer (drums). This performance will feature new compositions written specially for the BVSO, as well as music from the quartet's upcoming album. During his decade-plus on the big time music scene of Chicago, performing both as a solo artist as well as prolifically with a number of bands and ensembles, Clearfield has developed a reputation for lyrical and emotive compositions. Come find out what surprises are in store for you this evening! DOWNLOAD SEASON FLYER HERE
Guest Artists Rebecca Fairweather-Haskins, oboe Brazos Valley Chorale
Double your Mozart pleasure this March as Music Director Marcelo Bussiki and the BVSO take on two stunning works from the beloved composer. The Oboe Concerto in C, both melodious and expressive, will feature the BVSO’s Principal Oboist, Rebecca Fairweather-Haskins, as she performs this joyous work with the orchestra. At the other end of the emotional scale, experience the monumental Requiem, complete with four talented soloists and the incomparable Brazos Valley Chorale. Mozart died before finishing this work and portions of it were actually composed by others imitating his style, but there is no substitute for seeing this music, performed live in concert, so be sure you are there! DOWNLOAD SEASON FLYER HERE
Get all your spring and summer shopping done in one place! Just in time for Graduations, Easter, Mother's Day gifts, and summer weddings, the Brazos Valley Symphony Orchestra presents its highly anticipated 7th Annual Premiere Market, the only upscale juried market in the seven county Brazos Valley area. The 2019 Premiere Market will be held on Friday, April 5th and Saturday, April 6th, all centrally located at the popular Brazos Center in Bryan on Briarcrest Drive.
The Market features upscale merchants selling unique specialty items, home accessories, clothing, gourmet foods, jewelry and much more. The 2019 Premiere Market hours on Friday will be from 9am to 6pm and on Saturday from 10am to 5pm.
OFFICIAL PREMIERE MARKET WEBSITE COMING SOON
All proceeds go to benefit the cultural and educational programs of the Brazos Valley Symphony Orchestra, a non-profit 501 (c)(3) arts organization.
Join Maestro Marcelo Bussiki and the BVSO for this unforgettable finale to the 37th Season! Special guest Leslie Odom, Jr. took Broadway by storm when he originated the role of Aaron Burr in the blockbuster musical Hamilton and won the 2016 Tony Award for Best Leading Actor in a Musical. His impressive career has spanned television, film and theatre. After making his Broadway debut at 17 in Rent, the acclaimed star of stage and screen has gone on to be featured in television’s Smash, The Good Wife, and Grey's Anatomy and most recently he played the role of Dr. Arbuthnot in Kenneth Branagh's 2017 film adaptation of Murder on The Orient Express. In 2018, he even sang “America the Beautiful” on the NBC Broadcast of Super Bowl LII. Now, he joins the BVSO for what is sure to be a legendary evening of classics! DOWNLOAD SEASON FLYER HERE
Photo credit: Nathan Johnson
SEASON 37: NEW HEIGHTS
The 2018-19 Season is sponsored by CHI St. Joseph Health