Concerto Competition Entry Deadline
The Brazos Valley Symphony & Friends Association of the Symphony Orchestra announce:
21st Annual Brazos Valley Youth Concerto Competition
Open to all students, 18 years of age or under, in a Brazos Valley public or private school, and home schooled.
Entry deadline is September 28, 2018, all entries must be received at the symphony office or postmarked by FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, 2018. CLICK HERE FOR ENTRY FORM
The competition is open to any music student in any public or private school in the Brazos Valley or any home-schooled student. We’ve had winners as young as 9 and instruments as varied as piano, violin and tuba. There is no entry fee.
Requirements are simple, but deadlines are critical:
- The student selects any movement from any concerto for any instrument, not to exceed 12 minutes in length.
- The student must submit a good quality recording of his or her performance – with or without piano accompaniment – and the application form, both of which must be received in the Brazos Valley Symphony Office by close of business on September 28, 2018 if hand delivering, postmarked by September 28, 2018 if mailing. Late entries will be rejected. The entry must be submitted on compact disk. There should be NO markings on the entry disk.
- The entries will be assigned a number and will be judged anonymously by Marcelo Bussiki, Music Director & Conductor of the Brazos Valley Symphony.
- Up to five finalists will be selected by mid-October, and will be notified by mail, shortly thereafter.
- The finalists will be invited to perform their selection before a panel of three judges and an audience on November 11, 2018 at 3pm at Our Saviour's Lutheran Church in College Station. A piano accompanist is provided for the finals and the piano will be provided. Students must also have their music memorized for the performance.
- A winner and first and second runners-up will be named at the conclusion of the finals competition. All three will receive plaques.
- The winner of the competition will be invited to enter the first Juanita Miller Concerto Competition for which he or she is eligible. The Miller Competition is held in Dallas each January and is sponsored by the Texas Association for Symphony Orchestras. The Friends Association of the Symphony Orchestra (FASO) will pay the entry fee for that event, but the finalist will be responsible for all other expenses and to indicate interest in entering the event with FASO. The winner also will be invited to perform with the Brazos Valley Symphony.
- All finalists must submit a “head-shot” photograph (at least 150 dpi if submitted electronically), a copy of their sheet music, and a completed biographical form to be provided with the finalist selection notification. They must agree to allow their name, photograph, and biographical information to be used in publicity for the competition.
- First-place winners of previous Brazos Valley Youth Concerto Competitions are ineligible to enter.
Robert Borden, Chair, e-mail Robert
21st Annual Youth Concerto Competition
Sponsored by:Friends Association of the Symphony Orchestra (FASO),