Concerto Competition Entry Deadline
The Brazos Valley Symphony & Friends Association of the Symphony Orchestra announce:
22nd Annual Brazos Valley Youth Concerto Competition
Open to all students, 18 years of age or under, in a Brazos Valley public or private school, and home schooled.
Entry deadline is September 20, 2019, all entries must be received by FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 20, 2019.
The competition is open to any music student in any public or private school in the Brazos Valley or any home-schooled student. We’ve had winners as young as 9 and instruments as varied as piano, violin and tuba. There is no entry fee.
Requirements are simple, but deadlines are critical:
– The student selects any movement from any concerto for any instrument, not to exceed 12 minutes in length.
– The student must submit a good quality recording of his or her performance – with or without piano accompaniment – and the application form, both of which must be received by September 20, 2019. Late entries will be rejected. The entry must be submitted via UNMARKED CD or PLAIN BLACK FLASHDRIVE. There should be NO identifying information on the entry.
-Please either mail the entry to the P.O. Box or hand deliver to the symphony office by COB on the dateline date. Click here for mailing address and physical address information, ***please note that the mailing address is different than the physical address and it is advisable to turn in your entry early and not wait until the very last day.
– The entries will be assigned a number and will be judged anonymously by Marcelo Bussiki, Music Director & Conductor of the Brazos Valley Symphony.
– Up to five finalists will be selected by mid-October, and will be notified by mail, shortly thereafter.
– The finalists will be invited to perform their selection before a panel of three judges and an audience on November 17, 2019 at 3pm at TBD location. A required piano accompanist is provided for the finals and the piano will be provided as well. Students must also have their music memorized for the performance.
– A winner and first and second runners-up will be named at the conclusion of the finals competition. All three will receive plaques.
– The winner of the competition will be invited to enter the first Juanita Miller Concerto Competition for which he or she is eligible. The Miller Competition is held in Dallas each January and is sponsored by the Texas Association for Symphony Orchestras. The Friends Association of the Symphony Orchestra (FASO) will pay the entry fee for that event, but the finalist will be responsible for all other expenses and to indicate interest in entering the event with FASO. The winner also will be invited to perform with the Brazos Valley Symphony.
– All finalists must plan to submit a “head-shot” photograph (at least 150 dpi if submitted electronically), a copy of their sheet music, and a completed biographical form to be provided with the finalist selection notification. They must agree to allow their name, photograph, and biographical information to be used in publicity for the competition.
– First-place winners of previous Brazos Valley Youth Concerto Competitions are ineligible to enter.
Robert Borden, Chair, e-mail Robert
22nd Annual Youth Concerto Competition
Sponsored by:Friends Association of the Symphony Orchestra (FASO),